14 October 2012

Hiking in Switzerland

This is probably the last of my long overdue Swiss blog posts.  For the most part, other than my trip to Austria for some late season skiing, I alternated hiking in the alps with taking naps by Lake Luzern for a month.  Wish it could have lasted forever.  I suppose blogging about it will have to suffice for now.

Anyway, I took some pictures and video during the many hikes.  Here are some highlights.  Consider this entry a photo journal of sorts with a few panorama shots at the end.

Enjoy!


Stroll along Lake Luzern on day one.  Got a good look at Mt. Pilatus, which would ultimately get the better of me.  But more on that later.



View of Mt. Pilatus and Luzern in the background, Lake Luzern in the foreground.  Taken from a clearing on the way to the summit of Mt. Riggi. 





 Mt. Riggi summit.  And a little Swiss patriotism.


Enjoying a cucumber sandwich snack at the summit of Mt. Riggi.  It was really hot out - the snow felt good on my tired feet. 


Descending from the summit of Mt. Riggi.  This picture is great.  Like a stairway to heaven.  


Kelly's school has a chalet at Wengen.  We hiked up towards the base of Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau.   This is a picture of the Eiger.  Enjoyed reading about some of the famous ascents up the north face (looker's left in this picture).


Was great to have company on the Wengen hike!  And to see the famous Lauberhorn downhill course.




Looking down into Wengen on our way back.


OK - this wasn't a hiking picture.  But look at the water in the lake near Interlaken!  And some decorative cattle as a bonus!


Traveled south to Saas Fee at one point.  Too much snow (and a lack of proper equipment) to climb up into the glaciers.  But still enjoyed seeing the town and hiking around at lower elevations.



 Right about here I was wishing I had my bike with me.


Pretty cool cabin nestled into the mountain side above Saas Fee.


Cool enough to merit a second picture, anyway.


It was getting cloudy at this point, but nice place for a bench over looking Saas Fee.


As I mentioned earlier, I was getting excited about hiking Mt. Pilatus all month.  Finally thought the snow might be melted enough during the last week.  The hike is going well at this point, looking out at Mt. Burgenstock and Lake Luzern.


And here I am at the summit, enjoying one of the1,800 awesome pretzel sandwiches I ate over the course of the month.  Success, right?  No.  There was just too much snow.  I had to take a cable car for the last stretch of the hike.  Oh well.  Not going to complain about having to go back to try again some day.



Ubiquitous Wanderweg sign.  This one is on Pilatus. Oh, and the sky was blue.


One of the last hikes of the month.  On Mt. Burgenstock, looking out at Lake Luzern.  Burgenstock is pictured above in case you forgot already.


I was burning with jealousy at this point.  Let's just move on.


Summit view of Lugano from San Salvatore.  Just north of Italy.


And one more artistic shot of Lugano from San Salvatore.


OK - that's enough for now.  I'll close by leaving you with a link to a few panorama shots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment